Reading challenges are not unfamiliar to book lovers. If you were a child of the 80's like me, your first reading challenge may have been "Book It" which allowed children to earn free personal pizzas every month if they read a certain number of books. If you have a friend on Goodreads, you are probably familiar with their end of year cramming to get the last few books read that they need to meet the goal they set at the beginning of year for their challange. There are tons of book challenges out there - but here are a link to a few places where you can find out about book challenge you may want to check out.
- Popsugar Ultimate Book Challenge - This lifestyle website has created a checklist of 50 different types of books, such as "a book set during Christmas" or "a book a friend recommended" . The goal is to read at least one book for each checklist item. In the end you will have read 52 books ( since read a trilogy is one of the items). I think I'm going to try this, but I think I may allow myself to cross-off at most 2 items for each book read.
- Six Book Challange - The Reading Agency, a literacy awareness program in the U.K., annually hosts this challenge, where participants have to read and review any six books of their choosing. Participants who sign up can earn entries to win various prizes with each book they read. This year's theme is "Read Anything. Read Anywhere". It's unclear if this is only open to U.K. residents, but I think anyone can go to their website and get recommendations for books from other participants.
- "A Novel Challenges" Blog - It's a blog dedicated to posting links to reading challenges. Pretty straight-forward.
- The Book Riot 2015 Read Harder Challenge - Book Riot (a website dedicated to writing - or sometimes podcasting - all about books) has put together a list of 24 reading related tasks you must finish by the end of the year .
- The Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge - For anybody who loved the Gilmore Girls, it's a challenge to read all the books that Rory did (and she read a lot).
- "You, Me, and a Cup of Tea" Blog - While this is more of a personal type of blog (and not just solely a book blog) the author has pages for book challenges in 2014 and 2015. I'm including it because there are links to over 20 different challenges within those two sections of her blog.
- Books and Cupcake Blog Book Photo Challenge - Books and Cupcake is a tumblr blog dedicated to books, and one of the things it is well known for is its Monthly Photo Challenge. Each month Books and Cupcakes releases a theme for each day of the month and people are encouraged to take a picture of a book they feel best suits the theme and then post it to tumblr (using the tag #book photo challenge or #bpc) The point of this challenge is to get people recommending books.